Recently, two different people have asked me what it is I like about knitting. I don't think my reasons are all that different from anyone else's.
- You get a written out pattern. Lots of strange non-words like ssk, yo, k, p, etc... Just do everything it tells you and you get something tangible at the end. A hat, a sweater, socks, mittens, whatever. That is just so neat.
- You get a chart with a bunch of symbols in it like ^, /, \, o, etc.. and you follow the little code. Again at the end you have something pretty (hopefully) to show for it. The little symbols normally mean it's going to be something lacy like a shawl or stole.
- You can make up something in your head and after some thought and planning hold it in your hands.
- You take one very long piece of string (yarn) and a few sticks (needles) and out of this one piece of string that looks like nothing you get something. I think this one amazes me. It's like a little kid with a new magic trick!
- Last, but not least, you get yarn! It's often beautiful to look at, but the textures. Everything from rough almost twine to lovely fuzziness that is so soft you almost can't even feel it. You get to touch, pet, stroke and fondle it while you dream of the possibilites of what it could or should be.
Kind of silly and probably hard to understand or just weird to people who haven't made anything tangible or creative, but there it is.